avro-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using 'bytes' as keys in a 'map' equivalent
Date Tue, 06 Apr 2010 00:51:25 GMT
Stu Hood wrote:
> I can understand the reasoning behind AVRO-9, but now I need to look for an alternative
to a 'map' that will allow me to store an association of bytes keys to values.

A map of Foo has the same binary format as an array of records, each
with a string field and a Foo field.  So an application can use an array
schema similar to this to represent map-like structures with, e.g.,
non-string keys.

Perhaps we could establish standard properties that indicate that a
given array of records should be represented in a map-like way if
possible?  E.g.,:

{"type": "array", "isMap": true, "items": {"type":"record", ...}}

Doug