avro-user mailing list archives

From Kevin Oliver <KOli...@salesforce.com>
Subject RE: how to fill in an array (list) from java
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:17:29 GMT
+1 for the helper factories.

Also, I think better javadocs on the various Schema.createXXX methods as to what is expected
would help reduce the learning curve. There was a lot of trial and error for me.

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Cutting [mailto:cutting@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 9:41 AM
To: avro-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: how to fill in an array (list) from java

Robey Pointer wrote:
> Maybe we should add a type of Array that implements the avro array interface but doesn't
require a schema?

Instances must know their schema in order to implement #equals(),
#compareTo() and #hashCode() consistently with their serialized form.
This is because of unions.  Since different branches of a union are not
directly comparable, unions are ordered by branch.

> I'm pushing on this because if you look at my sample code, it's by far the ugliest part
of assembling a reply.

Perhaps we can instead work to simplify schema constructors?  For
example, we might support something like:

   Schema.arrayOf(Type.INTEGER)

Similarly, we could add a unionOf that uses varargs, e.g.:

   Schema.unionOf(Type.NULL, Type.STRING);

Could such things help?

Doug