avro-user mailing list archives

From Niraj Tolia <nto...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: C Implementation, missing avro_flush()
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 23:35:13 GMT
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Bruce Mitchener
<bruce.mitchener@gmail.com> wrote:
> Niraj,
> So, I've been looking at this.
> I have a patch ready to roll for the first thing (dealing with
> avro_flush()).  I'll go ahead and open a bug about that and attach the patch
> for massie to commit.

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the quick response. I was going to create the JIRAs but I
see you beat me to it. The patch with AVRO-480 should work for what I
am doing.

> However, for fsync(), I think we'd like to wait until 1.4 to address this as
> it will lead a confusing API at the moment that we'll just have to remove in
> short order.
> Right now, the container files are implemented with buffered I/O, so you'd
> have to call 3 functions to ensure that it hit disk.  I think we can get
> away without buffered I/O and that would make it a more reasonable 2
> functions.
> Do you have an overwhelming need for fsync functionality on container files
> (datafile.c stuff) in the next month or two?

I can probably work around it for now but I do think this would be
necessary to have in the long-term.

Thanks again for the help.

Cheers,
Niraj