avro-user mailing list archives

From Philip Zeyliger <phi...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: lazy deserialization?
Date Sat, 23 Jan 2010 02:38:48 GMT
Not with any of today's APIs.  "SELECT col1, col3 FROM t" is handled
easily: you construct a schema that only has those columns, and col2
is skipped at read time.

Does Hive have a use case for this that you're interested in?  If you
don't mind paying the buffer copy, you could probably write a
"DeferredFoo" class that doesn't de-serialize certain structures...

-- Philip