avro-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: reflected char array returning null package.
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2009 18:22:22 GMT
In Avro 1.2's reflect implementation, Strings must be represented with
Avro's Utf8 class.  Folks reasonably complained that this is not very
useful, and it's being fixed for Avro 1.3.

I'm currently investing a lot of effort improving reflect, and reflect
should work considerably better in 1.3.  That said, unless you have an
existing RPC codebase that you need to move onto Avro with minimal
disruption, the specific API is much easier to use than the reflect API.
  Avro schemas are mostly an expressive subset of Java, so mapping Avro
to Java is much simpler than mapping Java to Avro.

Doug