avro-user mailing list archives

From "Marko Milicevic" <MMilice...@pssd.com>
Subject RE: reflected char array returning null package.
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2009 21:06:55 GMT
Thanks Doug, that helps a lot.

I glossed over the "Specification" doc thinking that was some form of
internal protocol doc.

Now that I know that is the spec for the "Specific" schemas/api, I think
I can continue to fumble along.

And thanks for the pointers to the Ant tasks.

Marko.
.

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Cutting [mailto:cutting@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 3:05 PM
To: avro-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: reflected char array returning null package.

Marko Milicevic wrote:
> Is there any documentation on the Specific API and the Specific schema

> format?

The schema is an Avro Schema, as documented in the spec.

http://hadoop.apache.org/avro/docs/current/spec.html

One uses SpecificCompiler to generate Java classes and interfaces from
schemas a protocols.  Once you've generated this code, you can look at
it to see the Java API for your data.  There are Ant tasks to facilitate
code generation: ProtocolTask and SchemaTask.

http://hadoop.apache.org/avro/docs/current/api/java/org/apache/avro/spec
ific/package-summary.html

The documentation's not great.  We need a simple tutorial showing how
this is done.  You can look at the unit tests for examples.

Doug