avro-user mailing list archives

From Eelco Hillenius <eelco.hillen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: user experience
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2009 16:11:04 GMT
> Decoding 3MB/sec seems rather slow to me (121MB log file instantiated to
> objects in ~40 secs).  For comparison, creating tuple objects from a Hadoop
> SequenceFile is ~5x faster.  Granted I'm comparing apples to oranges (my
> objects in SequenceFile to Eelco's test in Avro).

Maybe I got carried away a bit, but I was looking at 300,000 objects/
sec, all populated through reflection, and was pretty happy with that.

> This would depend on a lot on the objects themselves, the schema, and generic vs. specific,
etc

Sure. It was late in the evening etc, and I just wanted to share that
Avro seems to work great for my purposes more than bringing any
serious analyses to the table.

Cheers,

Eelco