avro-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: mixing types using reflection
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2009 20:14:34 GMT
Eelco Hillenius wrote:
> I was also wondering about the package that needs to be passed in
> ReflectDatumReader. What about record classes in a union that come
> from different packages... is that not supported (on purpose)?

No, it's just not supported yet.  If you have a need for this, please
try to specify it as a test case and we can try to implement it.

When ReflectDatumReader was implemented, I don't think RecordSchema yet
had a namespace field.  Now that it does, it should be possible to mix
reflect-based schemas from different packages in protocols and schemas.
  But, this has not yet been tried, so it probably won't work the first
time, but I don't think there are deep reasons why it cannot.

Note that mixing packages in schemas and protocols will current break
the specific compiler, since it currently assumes that all types are in
the same package.  To fix this the compiler would need to be re-written
to generate multiple files, one per class generated, in a directory
hierarchy that matches the package structure.  This should probably be
done eventually.

Doug