avro-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Parsing canonical forms with schemas having default values.
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2017 18:44:39 GMT
When reading data, two schemas are used: a schema with the same
fingerprint as used to write the data, typically the actual schema
used to write, and the schema you'd like to project to.  Default
values are only used from the latter schema.

Matching fingerprints indicate binary compatibility.  Schema
resolution allows evolution to a schema with a different binary
format, i.e., with additional fields that specify a default value.

Schema compatibility through resolution cannot be represented in a
single number like a fingerprint.

Doug