avro-dev mailing list archives

From Rafal Kluszczynski <rafal.kluszczyn...@allegrogroup.com>
Subject Why canonical form excludes default?
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2017 07:29:00 GMT
Hello,

I have a question about canonical form. So far, we are storing schemas in schema-registry
service. Usually this mean, that developers use different schema versions on dev, test or
production environments. That is why we were interested in using fingerprint as unique schema
identifier for particular version (the same on every env).

This, of course, mean we have to adapt schema-registry and that is OK for us. Unfortunately,
default is also stripped from original schema which in our case is important for such tools
like Hue or Presto.

Could you explain why default value is stripped and what is the basic idea behind fingerprint
and canonical form in current version of Avro specification (1.8.1)?

Kind regards,

--
// Rafal Kluszczynski

Software Engineer