avro-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Community engagement
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2016 23:36:00 GMT
I disagree that Avro is heading towards the Attic.  Its rate of
contribution has been slow but steady for years.  That's the nature of
this project.  It had a larger number of contributions in its first
few years, when new languages and substantial features were being
added, but since then, we see a relatively steady stream of bug fixes
and minor features.  Here are issues fixed per year:

2009 213
2010 345
2011 240
2012 183
2013 130
2014 103
2015   71
2016 107

This year is actually an uptick from the past few.  Projects go to the
Attic when there are zero commits and zero releases for years, with
fewer than 3 PMC members who'll respond to emails at all.  We're
committing several contributions per week.  It sometimes takes a
little prodding to get enough PMC members to vote on a release, but
they're out there and will eventually vote and help get a release out.

Pre-commit tests would be great to have, facilitating development &
releases.  +1

Breaking the project into multiple products, each released separately,
could be a significant task, especially when you include getting the
first release out for each.  On one hand, it would make per-language
releases easier, but it might also let some build problems languish
undetected.  Build issues are sometimes the result of other projects
and distributions changing and may only be detected when you re-build,
even if code hasn't changed.  Lastly, getting PMC reviews & votes for
more-frequent, single-language releases might be harder than
less-frequent, multi-language releases.  To be clear, I don't strongly
oppose splitting things up, but I don't think it will be easy & may
create some new problems as it resolves existing ones.

I installed a new version of Linux on my laptop a few months ago and
was able to recreate Avro's docker image relatively quickly and
painlessly.  I just now started it for the first time since, and it
took 10 minutes to update.  Building all languages took another 5
minutes.  Each step required only a single command and proceeded
without failure.  It's a little slow, but not prohibitive.  Overall
the process is much better than before we had docker.  Sure, it could
be improved, but it's not unworkable.  I find other steps of releases
more tiresome.

Would it be nice to be able to get a Java release out more quickly and
easily?  For sure, but getting there might not be that simple.  Are
you proposing to drive this effort, following it through to
completion, nursing it if it stumbles, perhaps reverting it if it
somehow fails?  (Hadoop was once split & reunified.)

To some degree, splitting assumes that each implementation has a
sufficient community to maintain itself independently.  We have a
viable community combined, but I worry that breaking the project up
could fragment it into projects that are too tiny to make releases.
Right now we're all forced to care a bit about other implementations.

Doug