avro-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Blue <b...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Release and code management
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2015 17:34:21 GMT
My responses are inline.

rb

On 11/06/2015 07:32 AM, Tom White wrote:
> I'm not sure that moving to a model where there are releases of individual
> components will increase the frequency of releases. There will still need
> to be a release manager for each component, and then there's a danger that
> the less maintained components will not get released at all.

My concern is that new components, like Miki's fastavro (python) and
Matthieu's js implementation, already have significantly faster release
cycles (see [1] and [2]). We want those to be successful in the Avro
community and I think that blocking their fast release cycles on
languages without maintainers is a community problem. Not delivering
timely releases discourages participation.

I think a release manager per release, even if it is a python-only
release, is fine. As I said, we've had less than one release per year
lately so it isn't going to be that much overhead. And to your point
about making releases easier, I think it is much easier to learn how to
do releases with a small project.

We will need to discuss what to do about languages that aren't
maintained. (Maybe in a separate thread?) I don't think we need to
deprecate them as Phil suggested, but I also don't think it is right to
continue releasing code with new version numbers that hasn't been
updated in a year or more. I think separating the releases is the right
thing to do here too: it signals to users that the component is still
"current" but hasn't been released in a while. We're neither
discouraging use or participation by deprecating it, nor are we making
it appear more active than it is.

[1]: https://github.com/tebeka/fastavro/releases
[2]: https://github.com/mtth/avsc/releases

> I would rather continue to make the release process easier (Docker helps a
> lot) so that any committer can do it. We should be able to use the Docker
> work to run tests for all components with Jenkins to ensure that trunk is
> always in a releasable state.

Docker does help quite a lot, but it doesn't help when the problem isn't
build-related. If Ruby contributors want to get a feature into a release
or perl has a blocking bug or the C# implementation has license issues,
we end up blocking all components.

> Where are we with the licensing issues? If we can get those worked out then
> I'd like to make a release (of all components).

The source tarball is nearly ready and a few implementations have
updated license docs in the binary artifacts. We have a couple days work
to go.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer