avro-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Blue <b...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Release and code management
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2015 18:45:01 GMT
It isn't just license problems, either. Releases that include all of the
languages can be blocked by bugs that need to be fixed in those
languages that are suggested during release planning.

It is also necessary to make sure the older language implementations
still build and pass tests, which can mean, for example, installing php
and fixing any tests that currently break. Tom's recent work to port the
build to docker really helps this situation, but that took patches to
unmaintained implementations and will still require maintenance.

I also disagree that it's always okay to re-release artifacts.
Everything is moving toward semantic versioning and I think that Avro
should as well. It is confusing to users to have an identical library
released with a version number that indicates a breaking change (though
it appears not to be by semver rules).

Each language should adopt a release cadence that works for its
contributors so that those contributors are able to use their work in
timely releases. Otherwise, I'm afraid that we will see fewer
contributions because of the long release cycle we currently have.

rb

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer