avro-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Blue <b...@cloudera.com>
Subject Python Avro implementations
Date Wed, 28 Oct 2015 18:14:37 GMT
Hi everyone,

Right now, we have two python implementations: py and py3. And there is
also fastavro [1], which is popular because it is fast and more
pythonic. It also works with python 2.7, python 3.x, pypy, and can be
sped up by cython.

I had a recent e-mail exchange with Miki Tebeka, the creator and
maintainer of fastavro, about the current python Avro implementations
and he's interested in working with the Apache community to merge the
existing implementations into one. I'm really excited about it, since
this is a great opportunity to grow the Avro community and consolidate
the python implementations.

I'd like to start a discussion from this thread about next steps. I
think the best way forward is to bring fastavro in, and then work on
building compatibility with the current APIs where we need to so that we
can deprecate the existing py and py3 projects.

Does that sound reasonable?

rb

[1]: https://github.com/tebeka/fastavro

--