avro-dev mailing list archives

From Tom White <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Avro 1.7.8 soon?
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2014 15:14:37 GMT
On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 4:20 PM, Doug Cutting <cutting@apache.org> wrote:

> I'd like to try to release Avro 1.7.8 soon.

That would be great.

> I propose we merge to the 1.7 branch all of the compatible changes
> that have been made to trunk but not yet merged to the 1.7 branch,
> then roll the release candidate.
>
> Are there other compatible changes that folks would like to get into
> 1.7.8 that have not yet been committed?  We'll probably release 1.8.0
> soon, so there's no need to rush a new feature.  What is important is
> to get any deprecations in.

I'd like to revisit immutable schemas. Now that we have a
SchemaBuilder this might be a bit easier than when it was last
discussed. I've posted a patch on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-1608 that adds
deprecations. It still needs a bit more work to check that it's
possible to rewrite the implementation to avoid the deprecated
methods.

Cheers,
Tom