avro-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kleppmann <mar...@kleppmann.com>
Subject Re: Ruby gem fork - contribute back?
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2014 09:36:14 GMT
On 30 Jun 2014, at 19:50, Willem van Bergen <willem@vanbergen.org> wrote:
> I have attached another patch to AVRO-1499 that solves a big unicode encoding problem.

Thanks -- I've merged together your patch and mine, and will commit it soon unless there are
any more comments raised.

> I had to set up a VM to test this against Ruby 1.8, because I can’t install Ruby 1.8
on my OSX work station anymore.** There is still a failing test on Ruby 2.0+, due to encoding
of union[double, long] types. I have fixed that in my fork as well, but that one is a bit
more involved.

Would be awesome if you could submit a patch for that as well! The bug is logged here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-1516

> A CI server that runs against different the different language versions would be a great
addition to this project, to make verifying changes less of a pain.

There is a CI server, but I'm not sure which version of Ruby it's running, or who maintains
it. Anyone know more?

> ** This s the main reason why I suggest dropping support for Ruby 1.8. Yes, it is possible
to build the gem in a way to be compatible with Ruby 1.8 and up, but it is really deterring
people from becoming contributors.

I appreciate that, but we do also have to respect people who are, for whatever reason, running
older configurations. See Sean's previous comment.

FWIW, Ruby isn't the only language with a tricky setup. I spent ages trying to get the Avro
tests for PHP to work, for example. As discussed on another thread [1], I think a Docker container
might be a good way of building a baseline configuration on which everyone can easily test
changes and make release candidates. Any help with this would be most welcome.

Best,
Martin

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/avro-dev/201406.mbox/%3CCFDC4DEE-436E-48B2-8560-7462274916CC%40kleppmann.com%3E