avro-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kleppmann <mar...@kleppmann.com>
Subject Re: Avro release cadence
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2014 08:21:33 GMT
On 26 Jun 2014, at 16:29, Doug Cutting <cutting@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 5:02 AM, Martin Kleppmann <martin@kleppmann.com> wrote:
>> (1) We aim to do point releases regularly, e.g. 1 or 2 releases per month [ ... ].
>
> More frequent Avro releases would be great.  I can't personally commit
> to increasing release cadence, as my availability is intermittent.
> But any committer can create releases.

Absolutely. A big part of the ASF's purpose is to help projects run smoothly without being
totally dependent on any one person. So I don't mean to demand more of you, Doug -- you already
do a huge amount. It was more a rallying cry for the wider community.

One difficulty I see is because Avro is such a diverse code base, consisting of various totally
different languages, there are only a small number of people who are qualified to review a
given patch. I try to keep an eye on JIRA and the mailing list for things I can review, but
I know nothing about (say) C++ or Perl, so the best review I could do with those languages
would be a rubber-stamp, which would do more harm than good.

So please, folks, if you understand what a patch is about, please help by commenting on it.
There might not be may people besides you who understand it.

> Configuring a machine so that
> all languages are built and tested takes a bit of time but isn't too
> difficult.  I'd love to see someone else take on this task.

I'll have a play around with Docker, to see if I can create a shareable container image that
has all the languages and tools installed for building and testing. If that works, it would
make it easy for anyone to run the tests for all languages, and to create release candidates.

> If we decide to go this way we need to reorganize sources into a trunk
> & branches per language, update build files accordingly, then have
> folks step up and volunteer to release each language.  It would
> probably increase the overall effort spent releasing.  (Once you have
> all the dependencies installed, creating a release for all languages
> isn't hard.)

Ok, probably that change isn't worth the effort -- it would be more productive to improve
the release automation, so that it's easier to release everything at once. I'll see what I
can do in that regard.

Martin