avro-dev mailing list archives

From Alexey Orlov <alex...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Contributing to C# implementation
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2014 12:25:02 GMT
Doug, thank you, I will make the final check with my legal people and open the case.

Now about dependency on Windows. The main purpose of the library was to enable people with
.NET applications to effectively use Avro. Thus it was natural that we were relying on Microsoft
implementation of .NET Framework while creating the library. However we did NOT utilize anything
"exotic", that would prevent the library to be compiled vs, e.g., Mono. Note though we never
tested such cases (see the main motivation of creating the library).

If anybody from the community would like to try this out, the complete code is available (see
my initial post).

Thank you,
Alexey

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Cutting [mailto:cutting@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 7:51 PM
To: dev@avro.apache.org
Subject: Re: Contributing to C# implementation

Alexey,

This would be a great contribution to Apache Avro.  I suggest opening an issue in Jira to
discuss this.

The Microsoft implementation of Avro appears only to build on Windows, unlike other implementations
which mostly build on multiple platforms.
 Is the dependency on Windows deep, or is it only in the build?

Thanks,

Doug

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 3:10 AM, Alexey Orlov <alexeyo@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a Program Manager working in Microsoft and responsible for C#
> implementation of Avro, that we have recently made public as Microsoft
> Avro Library. The code, binaries and docs are available here:
> https://hadoopsdk.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Avro%20Library&referring
> Title=Home
>
> Now we would like to start a conversation related to contributing the library to the
project. Would be thankful for help.