avro-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AVRO-301 and AVRO-300
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 19:48:57 GMT
On 03/13/2012 12:23 PM, Miki Tebeka wrote:
> I other question, I *do* have commit rights but very green to the
> development process. Is there a document somewhere that I can refer
> to?

There are some instructions at:

https://cwiki.apache.org/AVRO/How+To+Contribute#HowToContribute-CommittingGuidelinesforcommitters

If we find that document is missing things then we should update it.

The general flow is something like:
 0. An issue is opened in Jira.  Potential solutions are discussed.
 1. Someone provides a patch in Jira and marks it as "Patch Available".
 2. A committer reviews the patch.
 3. If the reviewer feels it's not ready for commit, reasons are given
and we return to step (0) or (1).
 4. If the patch is acceptable, it is committed and the Jira issue is
resolved.

While reviews are nice to get before commits, we don't strictly require
a review before every commit.  Often committers will say, either of
their own patch or that of someone else, "I'll commit this tomorrow
unless someone objects", then, if no one speaks up, they commit it.  For
trivial, uncontroversial changes like fixing typos, folks often just
commit them immediately.

Does this help?

Doug