avro-dev mailing list archives

From "Brimhall, Geoffrey" <geoffrey_brimh...@intuit.com>
Subject RE: Anyone started work on RPC implementation for avro C ?
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2012 19:29:09 GMT
Thanks !

Have downloaded the patches, will start taking a look at updating them to a single patch file
to apply to the current trunk/.

One thing to clarify - in looking over comments for 777, there was mention of JIRA-778 ( schema
compiler ) code overlap. I'd like to focus on just the RPC mechanism in the patch's rpc.c;
My understanding of AVRO is using a compiled schema is an optimization but not a requirement
for AVRO's rpc. Or am I missing something ( that I'll probably discover as I dig in more )
?

-geoff Brimhall

-----Original Message-----
From: Douglas Creager [mailto:douglas@creagertino.net]
Sent: Sat 2/4/2012 7:13 AM
To: dev@avro.apache.org
Subject: Re: Anyone started work on RPC implementation for avro C ?

> Our project is using the Java avro RPC connectivity to flume, we have a bit of C++ and
C code that needs to connect to flume also.

> Checked out the avro.apache trunk, not seeing any RPC C implementation.
>
> Wanted to double check if anyone out there has already started the C RPC implementation
to collaborate with, otherwise will begin doing a prototype.

Hi Geoff,

There's a JIRA issue open for RPC support in the C bindings:

This includes a patch, but we've had some API changes since then, so it doesn't apply cleanly.
 I think that would be a fantastic starting point if you're willing to contribute some development
effort fixing any merge conflicts.  And I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have
about the changes and how they relate to the RPC patch.

cheers
-doug