avro-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A couple questions on the RPC spec.
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2010 17:35:58 GMT
On 06/08/2010 09:50 AM, Jeremy Custenborder wrote:
> I read link you provided. Does this mean that the current RPC implementation
> will be deprecated once AVRO-341 has been finished?

No.  My belief is that HTTP will continue to be a useful RPC transport
long-term.  It's easy to implement, since most languages already have
HTTP client and server libraries that have often been optimized for
decent performance.  It also facilitates access through firewalls.

HTTP has shortcomings that we hope an Avro-specific transport will
overcome.  It has performance overheads.  It doesn't naturally permit
one-way messages.  Its encryption, authentication and authorization
mechanisms are heavyweight.  Etc.

AVRO-341 is about creating an alternative to HTTP.  Long-term the intent
is that Avro will specify just two transports, HTTP and an
Avro-specific, optimized transport.

> What is the time frame
> for AVRO-341? Is it planned for the 1.4 release?

I doubt it will make the 1.4 release, but we'll see.

> Haha a more important question would be when is the 1.4 release planned? The
> .net port is coming along nicely and should be ready for an alpha release in
> the near future

I'm hoping we'll have enough new functionality to warrant a 1.4 release
sometime this summer.  I'm reluctant to delay releases for particular
features, but, on the other hand, we should probably delay until we have
at least some significant new features.

Browsing Jira for issues with Fix Version of 1.4.0 shows what folks
currently intend for 1.4.0.  http://tinyurl.com/avro140

I'm working on adding MapReduce support.  AVRO-493 is complete, AVRO-512
is nearly so, but more work remains (AVRO-513, AVRO-570, AVRO-567).
Bruce is working on Win32 support for Avro C and other things.  Etc.

> On a side note I'm thinking I'll be ready for an alpha release
> pretty soon. When would you consider accepting a patch?
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-533 is the issue I am working
> against. The patch that is out there is quite old so I'll need to generate a
> new one.

The bar is lower for initial implementations: something is better than
nothing.  It should at least build and include tests for the
functionality it provides.  It need not provide datafile or RPC support
before the first commit.  Those can be added in subsequent patches.

C# support would be a wonderful feature for 1.4.

Doug