avro-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Thoughts on an RPC protocol
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:46:32 GMT
Jeff Hodges wrote:
> To throw another set of ideas into the hat, SPDY[1][2] would be good
> to learn from. SPDY takes the basics of HTTP and makes them fast.
> Benefits we would enjoy include:
>
> * Multiplexed streams
> * Request prioritization
> * HTTP header compression
> * Server push
>
> Currently in draft form.
>
> [1] http://dev.chromium.org/spdy/spdy-whitepaper
> [2] http://dev.chromium.org/spdy/spdy-protocol/spdy-protocol-draft2

I like that SPDY is more actively developed than BEEP.  It would be nice
not to have to re-implement clients and servers from scratch, and to
perhaps even use a pre-existing specfication.

SPDY does fix one of the primary restrictions of HTTP in that it permits
request multiplexing: responses need not arrive in order.

However other concerns folks have had about HTTP are that:
  a. text headers are big and slow to process
  b. SSL/TLS is heavyweight and inflexible for authentication

SPDY addresses the size of headers by compressing them, but that may
hinder the speed of header processing.

SPDY uses SSL/TLS, so would have the same issues there.  Perhaps they
could be convinced to adopt SASL instead of TLS?

Doug