avro-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Shared schemas for testing?
Date Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:28:46 GMT
Matt Massie wrote:
> I'd recommend we consider using the
> approach more generally.

For stuff besides parsing it's be more complicated to share test data.

Perhaps we could have three files per schema: the schema, a data file
containing binary instances of that schema and a data file containing
json instances of that schema.  The generic tester could read the data
files check that their instances match.

Or we could standardize on a simple random datum generator.  Then we
could have, for each schema, random seeds paired with binary instances.
  Then one can generate datastructure instances given the seed and check
that they're equal to the instance read from the test file, etc.  This
would be a stronger test.

Doug