avro-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Policy question for the team re: C updates
Date Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:23:44 GMT
Matt Massie wrote:
> What is the process that you'd like me to follow when commiting over the
> next three weeks?  To this point, it's been review then commit.  Is it
> possible to relax that policy to commit-then-review temporarily to help
> speed along C development?

+1 I think this is fine.

In my experience, as code evolves the appropriate commit policy changes.

Until an area of code is complete and usable and while it's primarily
developed by a single committer, CTR is a reasonable policy.  As a
committer, you're trusted not to break the build, etc.  C and C++ are
still in this stage.

When code is usable, but not yet widely used, and a single committer
still dominates a major area within it, then that committer can post
patches to that area for review, wait a bit, and, barring objections,
commit them without a formal review.

Once an area of code is widely used, and/or multiple committers have
been involved in that area, then first permitting others to review one's
changes to that area is best.

Does that sound reasonable to folks?

Doug