avro-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Schema resolution and promotion
Date Tue, 28 Jul 2009 21:33:34 GMT
Kevin Oliver wrote:
> I was wondering if this could be extended to allow for int and long types to be promoted
to a string.

Can you better motivate this?  It does not seem intuitive to me.
Promotion is best when there are common operations.  For numbers, these
are arithmetic, comparisons, functions, etc.  However strings and
numbers do not share that many operations: prefix match, substring,
character coding, etc. are not normally considered numeric operations,
and addition, subtraction and multiplication are not string operations.

Doug