avro-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject benchmark site: thrift-protobuf-compare
Date Tue, 05 May 2009 16:43:00 GMT
We might contribute some Avro benchmarks to this project:

   http://code.google.com/p/thrift-protobuf-compare/

I suggest we contribute two benchmarks, one using the generic API and
one using code generation (specific).

To get an idea of what's benchmarked, look at, for example:

http://code.google.com/p/thrift-protobuf-compare/source/browse/trunk/tpc/src/serializers/ThriftSerializer.java

To me it looks like serialize() and deserialize() will be largely
impacted by setup, since the i/o streams, etc. are created per instance
serialized.  And create() will be dominated by UTF-8 conversion.  So
it's perhaps not the benchmark I'd write, but it is a benchmark.

Doug