avro-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TestNG in Avro [Was: Code reorg]
Date Mon, 04 May 2009 18:28:30 GMT
Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
>   1) Complete test conversion using provided JUnitConverter. For a
> number of reasons it failed to work. One of the possible reasons my
> insufficient TestNG skills. Another possible reason is relative
> complexity of the tests, which is above JUnitConverter level of intellect.

How did it fail?

Most of the tests don't push JUnit very hard and should be trivial.  The
only one's that I'd expect to be a problem are the RPC tests.  I tried
to use JUnit's setup/teardown methods to start and stop the daemon, but
could not get that to work for some reason.  I ended up doing something
pretty ugly, which is, in each class, adding an initial test method that
starts a daemon, and a final one that kills the daemon, and a bunch in
between that use the daemon for tests.  So perhaps the problem is
related to this, e.g., perhaps JUnitConverter doesn't run tests in the
right order or somesuch.

Doug