avro-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject spec changes & schedule
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2009 18:25:59 GMT
I've now added all the spec changes I can think of to Jira:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?pid=12310911&component=12312779

I propose to complete these in roughly the following order:

AVRO-1 - switch to JSON arrays for record definitions
AVRO-9 - restrict map keys to be strings
AVRO-17 - remove single-float type

AVRO-8 - add default values to record field definitions
AVRO-2 - switch to optimized RPC handshake
AVRO-10 - add fixed-size type

My goal is to make incompatible, inner, changes sooner, and implement
new features and higher-level changes later.

I've completed the documentation and Java changes for AVRO-1, and will
now start on similar patches for AVRO-9 and AVRO-17.  Hopefully Sharad
will add Python support to these patches and we can commit all three
early next week, then start on the last three.

With luck, we might get all of these done by the end of the first week
in May, and by May 15th at the latest.  Does that sound like a
reasonable goal?

Cheers,

Doug