avro-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Code reorg
Date Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:36:20 GMT
Nigel Daley wrote:
> I think we should try to keep the directory structure and ant targets as
> similar as possible across all Hadoop sub-projects.  This helps leverage
> the same tools and test patch process more easily.  So can we keep it
> similar to Core Hadoop?

We should not gratuitously differ, but Avro has a stronger multi-lingual
tilt than Hadoop.  For example, Hadoop's src/test is Java-centric, while
Avro needs a separate test directory per implementation.  The current
directory structure is a compromise: it's mostly like Hadoop Core, with
each implementation is in src/${impl}, but with test code in
src/test/${impl}, which is a bit asymmetric.

Currently Avro's lib/ directory is java-centric.  Should we partition
this into lib/${impl}/, with separate directories per implementation?

> Regarding Junit version and/or TestNG.  Can we
> try TestNG in this project?

I'd be fine with that if someone wants to develop a patch and others
agree.  Note that, for Avro, we need a test framework per
implementation, and TestNG/JUnit only help us with Java.

Doug