avro-dev mailing list archives

From "Thiruvalluvan M. G." <thiru...@yahoo.com>
Subject Code reorg
Date Sat, 11 Apr 2009 11:58:38 GMT
Because these are early days of avro, it easier to get these changes
effected now rather than later:

1. Directory structure

There doesn't seem to be a de facto standard directory structure for these
kinds of projects. But many projects keep the main code and test code at the
same level. For example, protocol buffers keeps main and test code for Java
under java/src. On the other hand, thrift keeps them as top level as
compiler, lib and test and has directories under them for each language.

Avro keeps test under src, which is somewhat asymmetric. Is there a good
reason to keep that way? I'd prefer to follow the directory structure that
is friendly to maven, which is similar to what protocol buffers uses.

2. Standardize Java tests

The current code base uses JUnit3. It is preferable to move to either JUnit4
TestNG. I don't have much experience in TestNG. I find JUnit4 much more
convenient and expressive compared to JUnit3; this is particularly true for
parameterized tests. Many think TestNG is better than JUnit4.

If there's agreement that we should change these, I'll file JIRA for these
decide on the way to go and then implement the decision.

Thanks

Thiru