From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: How to move forward?
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 16:34:45 GMT
> How can you vote on something unless you see it in action.

Do you not understand that perfection is not required for committing code?
What is important is a Community Consensus that it appears to be the right
thing to do at the time.  Were one to take your statement literally, you
couldn't commit any code until it had been evaluated through a sandbox.

> Separate trees only become a problem when there is
> chest thumpers and code ownership galore.

There is an old Irish saying: begin as you intend to go on.  I don't think
that it is a good practice to start with competing branches vying for
popularity.  That is not a unified community.

> A little story [...]

Your story is quite similar to the one that you told me about Phoenix and
Merlin.  Except, of course, that those two remain forked.

However, I do thank you for understanding why the "urn:" prefix is
important, since if a future need arose to support JNDI strings, e.g., to
integrate JINI components directly, the string passed could be "jndi:"
prefixed and the API for the lookup need not be changed.

> At no stage did we have any problems with the different proposals.

Selective examples.  If this weren't a problem here, we wouldn't be having
this discussion.

	--- Noel