From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Kick-starting the Charter process
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 19:30:59 GMT
[Preface: just a few nits, and a couple of questions regarding the ASF
Bylaws vs the PMC charter]

> "  It is also possible for a project depending on Avalon to nominate
> a representative.  The representative of the client project still
> needs to be unanimously approved by all PMC members, and a two-thirds
> majority vote of committers. "

I think that you can (and should) remove the word "still".  And change
"representative of the client project" to "the client project's
representative."  Nit-picking, I know.

Also, please review section 6.4 of the Apache Bylaws.  It states that the
members of the PMC are appointed by the ASF Board (or a designated member).
IANAL, so I'm not sure how to interpret that clause vis-a-vis the PMC
charter.

> ... direction of the newly-formed Apache Software Foundation ...

Is the "newly-formed" adjective still appropriate?

> The PMC must have at least one officer from the Apache Board,
> who will be the Chairperson and report to the Apache Board.

That is from the ASF Bylaws, section 6.3.  Is the ASF Board really going to
put a board member on each PMC as Chairman?  The current board is posted
here: http://www.apache.org/foundation/board/.  I'll point out that Nicola
is neither a board member, nor an ASF member.

Again, I'm just trying to understand this with respect to the ASF Bylaws,
since I expect to be going through this again shortly with James.  Perhaps
Sam Ruby or Greg Stein can help clear up my confusion, since they are
presently reading this list.

> (I would [commit] it, but I am behind a corporate firewall).

Is SSH unable to penetrate your corporate firewall?

	--- Noel