From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Kick-starting the Charter process
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 21:33:17 GMT
Sam,

Please understand that I am *not* trying to be difficult.  I am simply
trying to understand how the ASF Bylaws, which are a legal document of the
Corporation, impact this process.

> The board appoints officers.  Officers are empowered to appoint members.
> The appointment process is specified by the project's charter.

>From ASF Bylaw 6.3: "In addition to the officers of the corporation, the
Board of Directors may, by resolution, establish one or more Project
Management Committees consisting of at least one officer of the corporation,
who shall be designated chairman of such committee, and may include one or
more other members of the corporation."

Sorry, you are correct and I mis-read it initially.  It isn't a ASF Board
member, it is an ASF Officer, whom are listed here:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/.  The bylaws do state that the PMC
Chairman SHALL be an Officer of the Corporation.  But ASF Bylaw 6.1 does
include: "and such other officers and assistant officers and agents as may
be deemed necessary may be elected or appointed by the Board of Directors
from time to time", so perhaps all that is necessary is for the Board to
designate each PMC Chairman (e.g., Nicola) as an ASF Officer.

>From ASF Bylaws 6.4: "The officers of the corporation and the members of
each existing Project Management Committee shall be appointed by the Board
of Directors or appointed by an officer empowered by the Board to make such
appointment."

So what you are saying is that the PMC Chairman is legally the Corporate
Oficer who designates PMC members, but that as an internal process the
designated Officer abides by whatever rules are established by the
Community?

> Nicola Ken is an ASF member.  As are Berin and Stefano.

Sorry.  I was going by http://www.apache.org/foundation/members.html, which
shows only Stefano from that list.  Apologies (and congratulations) to
Nicola and Berin.

> Independent of prior charters that may have been approved, I
> intend to review future charters with an eye for (1) effectively
> demonstrating oversight and (2) adherance to the "collaborative,
> consensus based development process" that is supposed to characterize
> all Apache projects.

Excellent!  :-)  Do you have a prototype that people can use to start?

	--- Noel