From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Charter.txt
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 14:06:32 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> [...]
THAT IS WHAT I AM TOTALLY OPPOSED TO.
If the PMC cannot reach agreement on something because it put in place
policies that effectively can lead to blocking its own ability to take
action - you have destoyed the PMC.

>I am sure that people who have a proven track record of being able to
>work with others can come to agreement.  I am also sure that unanimous
>has to work any time there is a legal issue at stake.  Remember PMC
>does not make technical decisions so there is unlikely to be an undue
>amount of blocking--and never for frivolent reasons.

The MUST BE zero possibility for blocking.  Without that - how will the
PMC every reach closure on a dispute where you dono't have concensus
because one party who happends to be a PMC member can block the decision
process?

>PMC is responsible to oversee the legal aspects of this community.

Exactly!
That is why it cannot be hamstrung with *nice* policies for how we think
the would *should* be.  It *must* be structured so that it can *always*
deal with *real* world.

Cheers, Steve.

>--

Stephen J. McConnell