From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Creation of an "avalon" CVS repository for new Avalon5 codebase (Re: How to move forward?)
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 10:09:44 GMT

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>I propose we have a new "avalon" CVS repository where to develop the new
>>Avalon5 system. Things will be discussed and committed only when decided
>>upon, and still eventually changed when again decided upon.
>>
>>This will make us do a clear cut with previous development methods, and
>>clearly indicate that it's a new effort and that the old will be
>>nevertheless maintained.
>>
>>+1 for a new "avalon" CVS repository
>>

> +0 - I'm not against it, but I'm not sure if it is worth creating
> a new repository, why not making a directory inside the existing
> repository with the same structure?
> Creating a new repository has the effect that people will think
> that it is something new (and incompatible) whether it is or not.
> So, I'm +1 for a separate directory within our repository.

avalon-sandbox was created nevertheless, and IMHO it creates less confusion.

Tomcat or Apache for example use new CVSes for new versions, it's not
something that necessarily affects compatibility.

apache-1.2/
apache-1.3/
httpd-2.0/

jakarta-tomcat/
jakarta-tomcat-4.0/
jakarta-tomcat-5/

>>Alternatively it can be called avalon5, avalonV, aValon, avalon-5,
>>avalon-ng... the important thing is that it's there.
>

> That's true.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -