From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Kick-starting the Charter process
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 21:50:07 GMT
I need to rush off, but some quick responses for now...

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Please understand that I am *not* trying to be difficult.  I am simply
> trying to understand how the ASF Bylaws, which are a legal document of the
> Corporation, impact this process.

To the contrary, I very much appreciate the research that you have done.
  If that did not show through, it is I that should appologize.

> So what you are saying is that the PMC Chairman is legally the Corporate
> Oficer who designates PMC members, but that as an internal process the
> designated Officer abides by whatever rules are established by the
> Community?

If the PMC Chairman does not abide by the charter of the project, the
board will take action.

>>Independent of prior charters that may have been approved, I
>>intend to review future charters with an eye for (1) effectively
>>demonstrating oversight and (2) adherance to the "collaborative,
>>consensus based development process" that is supposed to characterize
>>all Apache projects.
>
> Excellent!  :-)  Do you have a prototype that people can use to start?

No, I just plan to throw rocks.  :-)

JUST KIDDING!  Gotta run.  More later.

- Sam Ruby