From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Kick-starting the Charter process
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 20:34:32 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> That is from the ASF Bylaws, section 6.3.  Is the ASF Board really going to
> put a board member on each PMC as Chairman?  The current board is posted
> here: http://www.apache.org/foundation/board/.  I'll point out that Nicola
> is neither a board member, nor an ASF member.

The board appoints officers.  Officers are empowered to appoint members.
  The appointment process is specified by the project's charter.

Chairmen are typically officers.  While this appointment is done by the
board, I am not aware of any cases to date where the wishes of the PMC
were not respected.

Jakarta's original process, for example, allowed any PMC member to
nominate another member.  This initiated a vote administered by the
chairman.  Depending on the results, the PMC chair then notified the
board of the appointment.  Recently, the ASF bylaws were changed to make
such appointments effective 48 hours after acknowledgement of receipt by
any board member.

Nicola Ken is an ASF member.  As are Berin and Stefano.

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  Independent of prior charters that may have been approved, I
intend to review future charters with an eye for (1) effectively
demonstrating oversight and (2) adherance to the "collaborative,
consensus based development process" that is supposed to characterize
all Apache projects.