From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Here is where we are divided
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 13:43:25 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

>> > Avalon has still in minds of many a bad name about the heavy
>> > refactorings it did years ago. Avalon is stable, works well, but still
>> > developers remember what happened back then. I don't want this to repeat.
>>
>> Avalon is stable?  Things like the following indicate otherwise:
>>
>> http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/2002-12-02/jakarta-avalon-phoenix.html
>
> Nah - that indicates that people don't consider gump a high priority.

And exactly what message do you think that sends?

If the message produced was an indication that the gump descriptor was
incorrect, then I might be inclined to concede the point, but what I see
is an indication that something is out of synch between the framework
and phoenix.

Gump is just a tool.  To me, the output it produces is an indicator of
how much the development team cares about stability and backwards
compatibility.  In particular, is it a part of the daily thought
process, or something that *may* be tacked on as a consideration at the
end of the development process?

- Sam Ruby