From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [NEWS] avalon-scratchpad/assembly + merlin
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 10:50:59 GMT

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Again, are you sure Stephen that it's good to continue development of
> this sandbox code now that we are still defining our goals?
> If it's just a way of showing something with code, ok, but it's just
> that ATM. No?

Hi Nicolas:

It a result of thinking about the things we have been talking about -
exploring possibilities - taking chunks of stuff separating them out and
applying the question - how does this fit into a future scenario.  At
the same time this addresses issues raised by Avalon members - Berlin's
criticisms of the size of the type and containment sub-systems in Merlin
and the need for refactoring, the addition of test cases - Gary's
comments and impressions during usage, etc.  Throw into that off-list
bug reports, questions and comments and you have sufficient content to
ask the question "what if ?".

If anything, I'm interesting in doing some early validation of direction
- so I can be more concrete about my opinions about what I think is
reasonable, achievable, desirable, etc.  What I've committed is the
ongoing result of that process - its contributing to my thoughts about
where we can go, how we can get there - and I figure its better out on
Avalon that hidden away on my machine.

I mentioned before that I wanted to write out thoughts on approaches -
well, I shaken some of those thoughts around and validated a few thing -
and identified some constraints - so hopefully I'll be able to
contribute more tangibly.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell