From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: How to move forward?
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 11:03:42 GMT
On Wed, 4 Dec 2002 20:08, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > I assume there will be multiple proposals going on
> > in which case we can get things like;
> >   proposals/red
> >   proposals/blue
> >   proposals/green
> > when one of them looks like it is a winner and has enough
> > momentum split off a new CVS then.
>
> I've read Rules for Revolutionaries, too.  But isn't the entire point of
> this exercise to move forward with ONE voice?  I don't believe that
> institutionalizing factions is the best way to address that issue.

How can you vote on something uness you see it in action. Separate trees only
become a problem when there is chest thumpers and code ownership galore.
Given that the problem behaviour is unlikely to be attempted again - or at
least while there are upper managament about ;) then I don't think there will
be a problem.

A little story;

When I first got here I liked ComponentManagers simplicity and design. Berin
advocated JNDI to access services/context data. Then one week he finally
convinced me that JNDI was was better - funny thing was I had convinced him
that CM was better - so we "swapped" proposals. Then a few weeks later we
swapped again (ie I was +1 for CM he was +1 for JNDI). At no stage did we
have any problems with the different proposals.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald