From Adam Murdoch <adammurd...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Context: usage recommendations? ( Re: [SUMMARY] Context )
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 00:42:07 GMT
On Wed, 4 Dec 2002 04:50 am, Stephen McConnell wrote:

> About all I can draw out of the requestShutdown example is that there is
> perhaps a need for some standard interface that can be provided by a
> container to handle child request - and, that the container
> implememntation still needs to know that the handler needs privaliged
> (i.e. container sourced) information.

I don't think this follows at all.  All the requestShutdown example shows is
that some components need to use services provided by the container.  You
can't really draw any conclusions about how the component might get hold of
the service.

This is the problem.  We all agree container-provided services are essential.
They must be made available to components.  But we're jumping straight to
*how*, without answering the basic question: Are container-provided services
*really* any different to the other types of services, from the component's
POV?  If the answer is no, then the *how* is already there:  Whack them in
ServiceManager.  Done.

> But anyway - what I can draw from things at the moment is that there is
> perhaps a meta model issue here.  At the meta model level we have the
> notions of context criteria and service depedencies as different
> abstractions and container map these respective notions into the SM/CM
> and Context implemetations provided to the component.  Adam Murdoch is
> persistently raising a bunch of good question that suggest that there
> may be a more deeply rooted problem

Sorry for being such a broken record.  Answer my question, and I'll go away.
Promise. (but only if you give the answer I want :)

> But if context/service seperation dissapeared I know I'm still missing
> something important - and I think its about granulirity in lifecycle -

Can you expand on what exactly you feel is missing?  Is it just a vague
feeling that something is not right?  Or something more specific?

--
Adam