From "Peter M. Goldstein" <peter_m_goldst...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Context: usage recommendations? ( Re: [SUMMARY] Context )
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 18:59:20 GMT

Berin,

> I have never yielded on this one point: A component should never, ever
> be able to tell a container what to do.  Period.

Ok, why?  If you mean force a container to do something, I agree with
you.  If you mean request that a container carry out an action, I don't
see why it's a problem.

> The process of shutting down a container should be done by a
management
> system exposed to the administrator, but not from any child component.
> I don't know if any of you have kids, but imagine one of them
defiantly
> telling you where to go....  It doesn't fly, and it doesn't work.  If
> you allow your natural kids to run your lives your house would be in
> chaos.  How can that work for components--esp. when some might be
truly
> evil or poorly written.

Why can't a component ask (i.e. request) that the system be shut down?
More specifically, why couldn't a component ask that it be stopped?  Or
that some set of components be stopped?  This would be a request made of
the container...

--Peter