From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [STATUS] (avalon) $Date: 2002/12/04 18:22:58 $
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 19:35:39 GMT

>     o One of the problems that has plagued Avalon is the result
>       of one-man codebases. I propose we remove almost all of these
>       withing the next month. They can be moved to jakarta-commons,
>       the incubator or to sourceforge as the developer wishes.
>
>       [ no votes yet.
>         we need to vote on effective codebases one by one ]

I have asked Peter for clarification of some issues (i.e.
just what "one-man codebases" are affected by this), and
since voting has started I want to register my -1 for
now. Motivation is that

 1) The proposal is extremely vague, thus opening the
    possibility of later conflicts when a project is
    told to leave, and the one-man author objects.
    I don't want to go there.

 2) I think Avalon-sandbox is a suitable place to have
    as an alternative.

 3) We need to vote on this on a project-by-project basis.

That said, a proposal with a list of affected projects
and suggestions on where they go (Avalon sandbox or out)
would make me withdraw my -1 and change it to a +1 as
the basic idea is good.

Finally, I consider this proposal to be technical, not
procedural, as it involves the codebase, and thus
requiring concensus (instead of majority).

/LS