From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@citi-us.com>
Subject RE: Kick-starting the Charter process
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 19:48:34 GMT
> From: Noel J. Bergman [mailto:noel@devtech.com]
>
> [Preface: just a few nits, and a couple of questions regarding the ASF
> Bylaws vs the PMC charter]

:)  Its welcome just the same.

> > "  It is also possible for a project depending on Avalon to nominate
> > a representative.  The representative of the client project still
> > needs to be unanimously approved by all PMC members, and a
> two-thirds
> > majority vote of committers. "
>
> I think that you can (and should) remove the word "still".  And change
> "representative of the client project" to "the client project's
> representative."  Nit-picking, I know.

+1

> Also, please review section 6.4 of the Apache Bylaws.  It
> states that the
> members of the PMC are appointed by the ASF Board (or a
> designated member).
> IANAL, so I'm not sure how to interpret that clause vis-a-vis the PMC
> charter.

It is largely cut and paste from XML's charter, so I am not sure
either.  I'll be honest, the Apache Bylaws are pretty long and my
eyes glazed over as I read it.

> > ... direction of the newly-formed Apache Software Foundation ...
>
> Is the "newly-formed" adjective still appropriate?

Probably not.

> > The PMC must have at least one officer from the Apache Board,
> > who will be the Chairperson and report to the Apache Board.
>
> That is from the ASF Bylaws, section 6.3.  Is the ASF Board
> really going to
> put a board member on each PMC as Chairman?  The current
> board is posted
> here: http://www.apache.org/foundation/board/.  I'll point
> out that Nicola
> is neither a board member, nor an ASF member.

Yep.  Again, its a copy and paste thing.  I am an ASF member, but
not a board member.  I dunno.  Maybe practicalities are different,
but I am open to how it *should* be written.

> Again, I'm just trying to understand this with respect to the
> ASF Bylaws,
> since I expect to be going through this again shortly with
> James.  Perhaps
> Sam Ruby or Greg Stein can help clear up my confusion, since they are
> presently reading this list.

It would be a good thing.

> > (I would [commit] it, but I am behind a corporate firewall).
>
> Is SSH unable to penetrate your corporate firewall?

I have two machines--one is on a private network (no internet),
and the other I don't have my private key installed on.  Either
way, I am not trying to make waves as I just got this job. ;P