From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@citi-us.com>
Subject RE: How to move forward?
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 13:22:47 GMT
> From: Leo Simons [mailto:leosimons@apache.org]
>
> Call me a donut but I find working with branches very puzzling (notice
> my lack of updates to the forrest docs in framework cvs). I am sure I
> will make mistakes if we do lots of stuff on branches.

Ok donut ;P,

Seriously though that is why I suggested working either as 4.1 (maintenance)
in the HEAD branch or the new version 5.0.  I would lean towards the
current stuff being in the branch and the new stuff in HEAD.

> I think it makes sense to do the first prototyping in avalon-sandbox,
> and everytime we have consensus on a piece, that can go someplace new,
> whether it's a new repository or a branch in the existing one.

For the container, yes.  The container needs to be started in
avalon-sandbox.

For framework, I want to work on one repository.  I want to clean out
all the deprecated stuff so that talks can begin from the current status
and clean plate.

> I think we need to slowly move to living without the "jakarta" prefix
> regardless :D

I agree.  BTW, we need to archive the contents from "Testlet" CVS, and
then remove the CVS repository.  The archive can be placed in a new
CVS just in case someone wants to revive it.

> I don't think this stuff should be played according to "rules for
> revolutionaries". We'll hurt the community. It is pretty cool
> to have a
> plethora of codebases and snippets in (sandbox) CVS (as long as it is
> not in the way of users and it is a common rather than a personal
> playground it's all okay with me), but we shouldn't apply the whole
> majority-rules idea to it.

I don't like having a bunch of separate directories.  Let's focus
one step at a time on one Avalon, one community vision.