From Mauro Talevi <mauro.tal...@aquilonia.org>
Subject Re: AW: [Proposal] Breaking up Avalon
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:22:13 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> I really thing things could go a lot further than that.  If you look
> at the solutions that are being addressed by Merlin and Phoenix - they
> are different.  Phoenix is much more focussed on the application
> deployment scenario.  If you attempt to look at Phoenix as a enbeded
> component deployment solution is sucks big time.  If you look at
> Merlin it has zero app level features (i.e. Merlin as app-server
> solution sucks) - but it really is nice at the component level.  Heck
> - putting these solutions together would be brilliant.

Personally, I think of Phoenix as a app-server - much like Tomcat but
for generic apps, not just webapps.
Its strength  is that it provides an out-of-the-box app container.
I don't know Merlin- so I can't make any comment on its pros and cons -
but as you say Merlin and Phoenix
have such different aims and target application scenario, then maybe
it's best to keep them separate.
Often, trying to bring together too many orthogonal requirements only
results in something that is not as
effective as two separate apps.

Cheers, Mauro