From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DOCS] Conversion of the Phoenix documentation to Forrest
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2002 07:54:04 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:41, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>
>>>In these days I've converted the Phoenix documentation to Forrest format
>>>http://xml.apache.org/forrest/ , by making xsl stylesheets (that BTW
>>>Pete seems to have used for the Avalon Framework stuff before than me ;-)
>>

> Nah - A-F was in document 1.0 format so hacked together a 1.0 -> 1.1
> stylehseet.
>

>>I committed the Phoenix docs in Forrest format in the Phoenix CVS, and
>>changed the build file and tools to support the new doc system.
>>
>>I have tested the site, site-all, announcement targets but not yet the
>>dist targets because I have speed problems with my internet connection
>>at home and I'm having a hard time in downloading MX4J; I'll test them
>>tomorrow.
>>
>>If anyone has the opportunity to give it a test please report and I'll
>>fix it ASAP.
>
> ATM several of the pages don't validate and thus the docs don't build. I will
> look into fixing it.

Hmmm, that's really strange, I actually managed to build them without
errors, it's really puzzleing :-?

Oh well, as long as it now works, good :-)

>>The docs use a new avalon-tigris skin that Peter Donald has submitted to
>>Forrest.
>>
>>If you are ok with this version, I can regenerate the site and put it up
>>live, after fixing a bug there seems to be in the <code> tag handling,
>
> the tigris skin also has some problems handling non-selected tab elements. It
> is just a css issue than needs to be fixed I assume but I haven't gotten back
> to it. There is also an issue in the way that menu items are highlighted.
> Sometimes multiple get highlighted - not sure about why but will have to fix
> it somehow.

Ok.

>>after adding a link to every page for PDF files,
>
> I would prefer not. I eventually plan to move towards uber docbook docs with
> one pdf per "book" and I don't think there is any significant advantage in
> duplicating the html content as pdf at this stage.

Ok.

>>The sources to change are in ./build/webapp, you will need to synch them
>>with the actual docs manually.
>
> Is there anyways to update the jetty integration so this is not required - as
> thats precisely the reason I avoid using it.

What if in the build we add for now a copy of newer files from webapp to
content?

>>There is a broken link in getting-started.xml:
>>
>>"
>>Firstly you will need to get the demo-helloword.sar file and drop it
>>into the apps directory of Phoenix.
>>Get it from <link href="TODO">TODO</link>
>

> Will fix.
>
> Thanks for doing that!

:-)

It was the main reason I came here for. You haven't seen much progress
in past months because I used the time to help get Forrest and Cocoon
better, like making the CLI output a bit better (still need working),
not choking on links, Forrest webapp for speed, etc.
I'm happy we finally got to this point.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -