From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DOCS] Conversion of the Phoenix documentation to Forrest
Date Mon, 18 Nov 2002 22:41:11 GMT

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> In these days I've converted the Phoenix documentation to Forrest format
> http://xml.apache.org/forrest/ , by making xsl stylesheets (that BTW
> Pete seems to have used for the Avalon Framework stuff before than me ;-)
>
> I'm going to commit the documentation in ./src/documentation/ , which is
> the forrest default.
[...]
> case 2
>  ./src/documentation/content/**       (all files here added verbatim)
>  ./src/documentation/content/**.xml   (here are the xml docs)

[...]
> If there are no objections, I'll commit the docs as per case2 later today.

I committed the Phoenix docs in Forrest format in the Phoenix CVS, and
changed the build file and tools to support the new doc system.

I have tested the site, site-all, announcement targets but not yet the
dist targets because I have speed problems with my internet connection
at home and I'm having a hard time in downloading MX4J; I'll test them
tomorrow.

If anyone has the opportunity to give it a test please report and I'll
fix it ASAP.

The docs use a new avalon-tigris skin that Peter Donald has submitted to
Forrest.

If you are ok with this version, I can regenerate the site and put it up
live, after fixing a bug there seems to be in the <code> tag handling,
after adding a link to every page for PDF files, and after adding the
top links to other Avalon sub-projects.

_INFO about the new docs system_

New docs dir:
   jakarta-avalon-phoenix/src/documentation

New content dir:
   jakarta-avalon-phoenix/src/documentation/content

New resources and images dir:
   jakarta-avalon-phoenix/src/documentation/resources

To build the documentation download Forrest from CVS
    http://xml.apache.org/forrest/your-project.html#N10022
  install it as described here
    http://xml.apache.org/forrest/your-project.html#N10036

cd in the  jakarta-avalon-phoenix dir and run "forrest"

To see the site real-time from a local embedded webserver run
  forrest run
and point the browser to http://localhost:8888/
The sources to change are in ./build/webapp, you will need to synch them
with the actual docs manually.

Or run the Phoenix build.xml with target "site".
To add also javadocs run "site-all".

_NOTE_

There is a broken link in getting-started.xml:

"
Firstly you will need to get the demo-helloword.sar file and drop it
into the apps directory of Phoenix.
Get it from <link href="TODO">TODO</link>

             - verba volant, scripta manent -