From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Phoenix - Jetty integration -
Date Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:00:25 GMT

Howard Henson wrote:

>I have provided a basic port of the Jetty web server that I would like to
>contribute to the phoenix project.
>
>In case you have not seen the Jetty project, the URL is:
>http://www.mortbay.org/jetty/index.html but basically it is a web server. I
>have ported it so that it can be used as a component in a phoenix solution
>and allow servlets executed in the environment can make use of other
>services.
>
>I attached the zip file with the source. I know the naming structure is not
>correct, clever, etc. I have the hhenson as a placeholder untill it finds a
>home. At which point I will rename to something more appropriate.
>
>Libraries for phoenix and jetty are not included, but will be requried to
>compile.

I've been going though the sources and I noticed that the only
dependency on Phoenix is the dreaded BlockContext interface and the only
usage of that interface is to get the base directory (inside the
JettyWebService.java source).  Do you think it would be interesting to
abstract this to the Avalon Framework level, in which case the
application would be usable across a bunch of Avalon container including
Tweety, Fortress and the amazing Merlin.  If you would like a hand doing
this (about two of three lines of code) I could post a patch to you.

A couple of other questions - is this code Apache code (there isn't
license information in the source to confirm this).  Also, could you
confirm what the status of copyrigtht and ownership is with respect to
the org.mortbay.* packages amnd the hhenson.* packages.

Cheers, Steve.

>Regards
>
>Howard

Stephen J. McConnell