From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Phoenix 4.1alpha (preview release)
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:18:26 GMT
Danny,

>Cool, ta, I will play, this is down for James 3 so I can wait a wee while for a release.

:-)

>BTW the mailet dependance on Avalon will be going soon, we're planning to move it up into
the MailetContext and hide it from Mailets, so removing a bunch of Avalon and James classes
would be nice too.

:-((

Avalon-Framework is designed for hosted components.  You know my
feelings on this...

>The longer term game-plan is to remove all of the standard mailets into a seperate sub-project,
where they would be available to help kick-start anyone else's development of a mailet container.

+1

>Ultimately I'm planning to mirror the .war system of distribution for servlet apps, whereby
even mailet-app configuration is restricted to its own file.

You really should look at EOB.  It has a .eob mechanism for hosted comps
as applications.

>Changes intended to encourage 3rd party mailet developers to build re-distributable apps.

Which can still happen with a dependance on Avalon-Framework...

- Paul